Home > NATIONAL > Man Electrocuted on William Street, Umeme Speaks Out

Man Electrocuted on William Street, Umeme Speaks Out

Power distributor Umeme has come out to clarify on the incident that happened on Monday afternoon where a man was electrocuted along William Street in Kampala.

Geoffrey Kasibante, a casual labourer in Kampala died on spot while having lunch at a construction site.

“Initial findings indicate that the man was seated on a ground-mounted transformer while having lunch at the fateful hour,” Umeme wrote ina statement extended to The Tower Post.

But according to Kasibante’s friends, the victim was trying to pick up a plate of food which he had placed on the transformer during a drizzle.

“We heard a big bang and he fell metres away,” Hamis Bogere, one of the deceased’s colleagues was quoted by local daily New Vision as having said.

Bogere told New Vision that Kasibante had ordered for food, when he was abruptly called for a job and placed the plate on top of the transformer.

Umeme has since advised the public to be vigilant and take precaution of the surrounding of electrical installations to avoid such occurrences.

By publication time, the power distributor’s engineers were on ground to ensure that safety precautions were maintained.

Comments

comments