Uganda’s main Electricity Distribution company Umeme has joined friends and relatives to mourn three people who were shocked dead by power in Bulwa zone, Wakaliga, Rubaga Division.
The three; a 12-year old girl in Primary Seven, a senior six boy and their maid were electrocuted on the evening of Saturday March 3rd, between 7:30 and 7:55PM.
Reports indicate that the two children were trying to save their maid who was removing clothes from a soaked hangline during the evening drizzle.
Preliminary findings by Umeme also indicate that “this unfortunate incident could have been caused by an illegal electricity connection that energized the metallic washing line.”
“We express our sincere condolences to the families that lost their loved ones and appeal to the public to support us by reporting incidents of illegal connections that continue to claim lives across the country,” Umeme officials said in a statement extended to The Tower Post.
The power distributors also cautioned the public to be vigilant and report all illegal connections, unsafe network conditions or broken poles and conductors.
According to the statement, such instances can be reported via Umeme’s toll free lines; 0800285285 or 0800385385 or one can email them at email@example.com.
This is not the first time people are getting electrocuted and killed due to having illegal connections. Such connections become mostly dangerous during the rainy season.
A 2017 report by Ugandan local news website indicated that Umeme loses close to Shs 100bn to power thefts annually.