Paulo Dybala has tested positive for the coronavirus for the fourth time in six weeks, according to reports.
The Juventus forward confirmed on March 21 that he and his girlfriend Oriana Sabatini had contracted COVID-19 after his first positive test for the disease.
According to Spanish programme El Chiringuito, Dybala has had a total of four tests in six weeks as a result of his initial diagnosis, with his most recent coming back positive.
The Argentina international recently spoke out about fighting the disease, and explained how he had been struggling to breathe.
In the same update he claimed he and his girlfriend were feeling much better, but it seems the forward is struggling to shake the illness.
“Luckily [we are] much better, these days we do not have any symptoms,” said Dybala.
“I had stronger symptoms, I got tired very quickly, when I wanted to train, I was short of breath after five minutes. There we noticed that something was not right and through the tests the club did we were told that we were positive.
“From there we had more symptoms, such as cough, tired body and when we slept I felt very cold, but from the club they had told us that we were going to be fine so we had to be calm.”
Dybala was one of three Juve stars to contract the coronavirus after Daniele Rugani and Blaise Matuidi were confirmed cases.
Serie A teams, including Juventus, are scheduled to return to training on Monday, May 4.
Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte said players would be able “to undertake training individually from 4 May, in groups from 18 May, and then we’ll evaluate if there are the conditions to allow the season to be completed”.
He added: “We need to complete all the discussions to ensure that if we do reach that stage, we’ll do so in the utmost safety and security.
We are passionate about sport and don’t want our athletes to get sick.
“I’m passionate for football. Like many Italians, I initially found it strange that the championship could be interrupted or suspended but I think that even the most ardent fan understands that there wasn’t an alternative.”
It is unclear whether this latest update on Dybala will impact this decision.
Dr Hilary on Dybala’s FOURTH positive test for coronavirus
IT’S always been thought that the virus is no longer active when you’ve recovered from your symptoms other than the symptom of dry cough which can last quite a long time.
Normally the virus doesn’t persist for more than a few days after that and is thought not to be transmissible.
However, we’re seeing quite a few cases of people who are continuing to test positive.
We’re not sure whether the virus is still there, or whether it’s been reactivated or whether it’s a fresh infection because of immunity that hasn’t happened.
It’s very interesting. Most people do not continue to test positive but some people do.
We think it’s probably that the virus is still present or particles of the virus are still present but the virus is no longer active or capable of being transmitted.
We don’t think [it would be contagious at this stage].
Remember that some tests give false positive results, we’ve seen that as well. It’s one of the many unknowns we have with this particular virus.
Symptoms can last quite a long time. Fatigue, exhaustion, breathlessness and dry cough can continue for some time – even weeks – after the virus has apparently disappeared.
The reason we have a 14-day self isolation with people with symptoms is that by the time they come out of the 14 days – when they’ve got no symptoms other than the dry cough – they’re thought to be not capable of transmitting the virus.”
SOURCE: Mirror UK, additional information from SUN UK