The Inspector General of Police Martin Okoth Ochola has Friday afternoon promoted the Uganda police athletes that represented Uganda at the Gold Coast Common Wealth Games in Australia.
SPC Joshua Cheptegei who won two gold medals in 5000 and 10000 metres, has been regraded to the rank of Police Constable and then appointed to the rank of Inspector of Police in addition to a token of Shs 10 million.
Special Police Constable (SPC) Stella Chesang who won gold medal in 10000 metres women has also re-graded to the Police Constable and promoted to the rank of Inspector of Police also with a token of Shs 5 million.
Well as SPC Chelangat Mercyline who won bronze medal in 10000 metres has been re-graded to the rank of police constable and appointed to the rank of Assistant Inspector of Police.
In his remarks IGP Ohola noted that “In these days of adversity, I’m certainly that you endured the deepest pain to reach the current success, but you never sacrificed your deepest values. Despite the entire struggle, you didn’t fail the Uganda police force, the country and the continent. You have the full support of the UPF and I stand here to promise, commit and endorse that”.
“You have climbed to the top you should be proud of yourself great job but aim higher,” he added.
Ochola assigned a double cabin pick up to the team to assist in their movements during their training in Sebei region which he said will be followed by a 30-seater mini bus in the due course.
Uganda was represented by 69 athletes at the Commonwealth Games and 11 were from the Uganda police force.
Other Police athletes that were recognized include;
- SPC Chemonges Robert re-graded to the rank of police constable and given a token of Shs 1 million.
- SPC Ayikoru Scovia re-graded to the rank of police constable (PC).
- SPC Shida Leni re-graded to the rank of Police Constable and given a token of Shs 1 million.
- SPC Lalam Josephine re-graded to the rank of Police Constable and given Shs 1 million.
- ASP Kiwa Faustino was given a token of Shs 2 million.
- SPC Njia Benjamin re-graded to the rank of police constable and given a token of Shs 2 million.