Suspended Petroleum Minister Puot Kang Chuol on Wednesday strongly denied allegations that he received battle intelligence and operational updates related to the March 2025 attack on the Nasir garrison in Upper Nile State.
Testifying during the 79th hearing session at Freedom Hall in Juba, Puot Kang, the first accused in the high-profile trial, rejected claims made by lead police investigator Maj. Gen. Basilio Thomas Wani.
Wani had told the court that intelligence reports allegedly obtained via WhatsApp linked Puot Kang to communications with members of the White Army militia and SPLA-IO forces involved in the assault.
The reports reportedly showed he received detailed updates on casualties, wounded personnel, and the timing of military operations.
The prosecution further accused him of sending money to SPLM-IO Brig. Gen. Hokdor Chuol for the purchase of weapons and ammunition used in the attack.
“I didn’t request anyone to send me a battle plan, including timing, and no one sent me the alleged intelligence report on the Nasir garrison attack, including the list of those killed and wounded,” Kang told the court.
He argued that as a son of Nasir and one of its political leaders, he naturally receives information from family members and relatives in the area.
“I am a public figure whose contact is known to many people. As a result, I may not even know the identity of who could have sent me what and when,” he said, adding that receiving such information does not constitute a crime.
Kang also denied communicating with Brig. Gen. Hokdor Chuol about weapons, stating: “I neither read his message nor responded to it. I only saw the message here in this honourable court for the first time.”
A South African digital forensic expert, Ratlhogo Peter Calvin, had earlier presented evidence extracted from Kang’s phone, including videos. One video showed White Army leader Ter Chuol Gatkuoth asking about money, while another featured Colonel Tor Gile Thoan addressing fighters a day before the attack.
A third video contained a message directed to Riek Machar.
Kang said he did not know how the videos ended up on his phone.
Presiding Judge James Alala Deng adjourned the hearing to Friday, May 22, 2026, for the panel of judges to continue examining the accused.
Puot Kang is one of eight defendants facing serious charges, including treason, crimes against humanity, murder, terrorism, and destruction of property over the March 2025 attack on an SSPDF base in Nasir.
Other co-accused include suspended First Vice President Dr. Riek Machar (currently under house arrest), Mam Pal Dhuor, Gatwech Lam Puoch, Lt. Gen. Gabriel Duop Lam, Camilo Gatmai Kel, Mading Yak Riek, and Dominic Gatgok Riek.
Prosecutors allege that SPLA-IO forces allied with the White Army militia killed 257 SSPDF soldiers, including commander David Majur Dak, and destroyed or seized military equipment worth approximately $58 million during the assault.


