Herman Mutaawe maintained a cool head to beat a strong field of professional golfers to clinch the 2017 Hima Cement sponsored Captain’s Prize.
Precision was the hallmark of Mutaawe’s game as he returned an impressive 143 nett over two days to take home the UGX10m from the professional’s prize kitty.
A total of 216 golfers teed off at the lush-green Kitante Golf Course from March 16 – 18, 2017; 193 amateur and 23 professionals. There were 39 new participants this year of which 25 were Members of Parliament.
“The course was friendly and I am glad that I followed my game plan. It was a tough event and above all, well organized,” an excited Mutaawe commented.
Despite Mutaawe’s exploits during the tournament, the crown jewels of the tournament were Koreans; Kim Jeong and Soon Yeon Hong who shot 69 nett and 70 nett respectively. They subsequently won the men and women’s overall titles.
The Captain’s Prize is one of local golf’s premier events and attracts both amateur and professional golfers from the entire region. It is hosted by the Captain of the club and this was the 15th consecutive year that Hima Cement was sponsoring the tournament.
Commenting on the partnership, Prof. Anthony Kerali who is the 86th Captain of the Uganda Golf Club and host of the event lauded Hima Cement for its continued support to the sport.
“I am happy that 15 years later, Hima Cement still with us. Your products have helped beautify the course. Thank you for sponsoring the tournament and we hope that this partnership will continue,” he stated.
Ladies Group A
- Winner: Aggie Konde – 72 nett
- 1st runner up: Sheila Kesiime – 75 nett
- 2nd runner up: Gloria Mbaguta – 77 nett
Ladies Group B
- Winner: Caroline Namutebi – 72 nett
- 1st runner up: Regina Dabrilla – 73 nett
- 2nd runner up: Jackie Nyakaisiki – 75 nett
Men Group B
- Winner: Wahab Atibu – 70 nett
- 1st runner up: Akura Munyenyi – 73 nett
- 2nd runner up: Francis Otim – 74 nett
Men Group C
- Winner: Jackson Kavuma – 72 nett on count back
- 1st runner up: Yunus Bbaale – 72 nett on count back
- 2nd runner up: Hillary Ndugutse – 73 nett
Men Group D
- Winner: Paul Baite – 72 nett
- 1st runner up: Charles Mubiru – 75 nett
- 2nd runner up: Charles Kareba – 76 nett on count back
- Nearest to pin ladies: Aggie Konde
- Nearest to pin men: Kasozi Ronald
- Longest drive women: Eva Magala
- Longest drive men: Katema Benson
- Overall Ladies’ winner: Soon Yeon Hong (70 nett)
- Overall men winner: Kim Jeong – (69 nett)