Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung – KAS, the organizers of the annual social media conference have released a list of 34 speakers who will speak at this year’s edition of the gathering.
The list which came out on Tuesday morning is made up of educationists, media practitioners, politicians, policy analysts among others.
Among the speakers is Dr. William Tayeebwa a Senior Lecturer at Makerere University and Research Fellow of American Council of Learned Societies, Adonia Ayebare the Ugandan Ambassador to the United Nations, Dr. Paul Kasenene; a Wellness and Nutrition Specialist, Ms. Anna Reismann; Country Director of KAS Uganda, Raymond Mujuni; Investigative Journalist, Awel Uwihanganye; Founder of LéO Africa Institute, to mention a few.
The conference which is slated to start on Wednesday August 25th will be a hybrid event with some people attending physically while others will follow proceedings online.
It will run under the theme “Digital democracy in a Post Pandemic World” and will tackle key topics including Social media and elections in Africa, Citizen journalism vs digital newsrooms, Digital diplomacy, Impact of social media on mental health, Tackling emerging digital threats (including extremism, trafficking, radicalization), The rise of global social movements and social media, and Re-framing the climate change agenda on social media.
Other topics will include the crisis of state surveillance, digital privacy, data protection, and the gig economy —which is currently a major source of income for a majority of youths in urban centers.
Full List of Speakers
- Dr William Tayebwa – Senior Lecturer and Research Fellow of American council of Learned Societies
- Adonia Ayebare – Ugandan Ambassador to the UN
- Opolot Nicholas – Programme Officer, Konrad Adenaeur Stiftung Uganda and South Sudan
- Anna Reismann – Country Director, KAS Uganda
- Raymond Mujuni – Investigative Journalist
- Kwezi Tabaro – Deputy Director, LéO Africa Institute
- Wanjuhi Njoroge – Founder, People Planet Africa
- Besigye Andrew – Public Policy and Communications Expert, Ministry of ICT
- Awel Uwihanganye – Founder, LéO Africa Institute
- Dr. Paul Kasenene – Wellness and Nutrition Specialist
- Alex Taremwa – Digital Journalist and Academic, Aga Khan University, Kenya
- Moses Owiny – ED Centre for Multilateral Affairs Uganda (CfMA)
- Dr. Okello Ayen – Director Public Health & Environment, Kampala Capital City Authority
- Jacob Eyeru – Chairperson of the National Youth Council
- Mathias Kamp – Policy Advisor East Africa, Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung
- Abubakar Matanda – Advocate and ANT Youth Leader
- Adeke Anna – District Woman MP, Soroti
- Agnes Igoye – Deputy National Coordinator Anti-Trafficking – Directorate of Immigration
- Solomon Serwanjja – Executive Director, AIIJ
- Lynna Abaho – Labour Support Officer, Ministry of Gender
- Ojok Okello – Social Commentator, Humanitarian and Entrepreneur
- Rushongoka Wa Mpiira – Sustainability Expert
- Blanshe Musinguzi – Journalist, Africa Report
- Denis Nabende – URSB Corporate Affairs Manager
- Dr. Benedict Akimana – Pyschiatrist, Butabika Hospital
- Susan Nandudu – Executive Director, ACTADE
- Peter Benhur Nyeko – CEO, Mandulis Energy
- Cathy Adengo – Stanbic Bank Uganda, Head of Sustainability
- Claire Leduc – Cooperation Attache, French Embassy
- Tricia Bigirwa – Feminist writer, lawyer and activist
- Patience Atuhaire – BBC Reporter
- Allan Chekwech – Co-Head Production Hub, Nation Media Group Uganda
- Aka Dope – Band